2011年1月27日星期四

a fact which may have finally given me the courage to turn the volume down in a video game

Horses don't have stereos, a fact which may have finally given me the courage to turn the volume down in a video game. I enjoyed Red Dead's score, but I was comfortable with quieting it. I believe that urge came from my 21st-century desire to multi-task. On my iPhone, I was behind in listening to podcasts. I had backlogged the device with audio files about the national news and about video games and about This American Life. In the world of replica Movado 0605348 WoMen's watch my TV where the West was rendered, a cowboy didn't need to hear a soundtrack, I reasoned. In the world of my couch on which I sat, game controller in hand, I could have an iPhone playing back something I just needed to hear.

Utility trumped the pure appreciation of an artistic work. Efficiency superseded focus.After I turned the volume down once, it was easier to do it repeatedly. Soon, many of Red Dead hero John Marston's long gallops across the west were accompanied by iPhone audio in my ears.I am aware of the risks I took. Red Dead Redemption, I learned the right way, improves its own beauty during one remarkable and required long transitional replica Movado 600456 WoMen's watch journey by playing one of the game's very few songs. I had no podcast playing when the song began.I played Red Dead Redemption in the spring. By the summer I was playing through entire games on my Wii or PlayStation 3 with backlogged podcasts playing in my ear.

I would quiet them during a game's dialogue scenes. Sometimes I would listen to the game, but lower the volume and reach for my iPhone if I'd failed at a challenge. If I was going to have to re-play part of a game, I reasoned, I didn't have to re-listen to it as well. I could listen to something else, even just for 30 second, 30 minutes or however replica Movado 605128 WoMen's watch long I was repeating something I'd seen and heard but not correctly done before.During the summer I learned by accident that some iPhone games that I enjoyed, such as Drop7 or Tilt To Live, could run while the audio version of The Newshour With Jim Lehrer played in my ears. I liked the Tilt To Live soundtrack, but I liked doing two things at once better.